I have been on a strict diet for most of the year, but for the relatively short period that I wasn't, I tasted quite a bit of chocolate (and gained back 4.5kg of the 10 I lost since CIV within 4 weeks!).
So, new things I tried:
San Churro chocolates - pretty average. The rose one had a nice delicate flavour in its garnish.
Lindt cafe - the framboise is a new favourite; citron noir is also very good. I intend to test more
Lindt cafe chocolates. I didn't enjoy the soy mocha very much, but that could just be me.
The other cafe in that block of Collins Street - Ganache. Quite acceptable chocolates and soy mocha, but no new favourites.
A packet of cherry liqueurs I picked up in a sweet shop were a pleasant surprise: Zaini - apparently an Italian brand of chocolate. What I like about these is they don't put almond essence in them. I dislike cherry liqueurs with almond essence in them (eg. those at Haigh's).
Hachez make a mango-chili chocolate which was much nicer than I expected.
I tried the Lindt Blueberry Intense and liked it. However, the Orange Intense remains the best of the range. Or when that is too sweet, the 70% does the trick.
Overall favourites are:
- Lindt Orange Intense, and Framboise
- Chocolate Box Peach Melba and Grand Marnier (the dark chocolate-coated cranberries are also worthwhile),
- Haigh's Lillipilli Jelly - there are some others I like from Haigh's but I forget what they are.
In the cake/dessert category (not quite so thoroughly researched yet), I like:
- The Dome from Max Brenner - downside is MB doesn't have a range of herbal teas
- Crown Bakery Cafe - good chocolaty stuff
- Chocolaty desserts from D'Orsay